How many locations does OHLA have?
OHLA has seven (5) locations throughout the state of Florida.
Miami Brickell Campus
Address: 825 Brickell Bay Drive, 18th Floor. Miami, Florida 33131
Miami Aventura Campus
Address: 701 N Federal Highway, Hallandale Beach, FL 33009
Boca Raton Campus
Address: 4205 W Hillsboro Blvd. Coconut Creek, FL 33073
Orlando Celebration Campus
Address: 715 Bloom Street, Suite 200, Celebration, FL 34747
Address: 6800 N Dale Mabry Hwy. Suite 124, Tampa, FL 33614
What do I need to study at OHLA?
If you meet these requirements, complete our online application form. Once we have received your form you will be asked to provide us with;
- Copy of your passport that will remain valid during your entire stay in the United States
- A Bank Statement showing sufficient funds for the period of study
- If required, provide a Notarized Affidavit of Support *
* Notarized Affidavit of Support: Required only when the Bank Statement does not belong to the applicant and that the cost related to the studies are being “sponsored” by a third party.
What kind of visa should I obtain? Where do I obtain one?
Because you will be a non-immigrant international student, you must obtain an F-1 (student) visa. To obtain an F1 student visa, you must contact the nearest U.S. Embassy in your country.
For specific information on where to obtain a visa, go to http://travel.state.gov/ and select the appropriate country and city.
DO NOT USE A VISITOR VISA TO ENTER THE U.S. TO STUDY!
I am in the U.S and I have a valid visa, but it is not an F-1 visa? What should I do?
If you are currently in the United States; apply to OHLA as normal. If you are accepted, we will assist you by issuing your I-20 form in order to apply for a change of status of your current status to an F1 student status.
This process is done through a form called I-539 and it must be approved by USCIS.
Can I study with a tourist visa or visa waiver?
Yes, you may study with your tourist visa or visa waiver, however you cannot exceed 18 clock hours per week.
In our program you may study in the semi intensive program which equals 16.6 clock hours per week.
What if I'm already attending another ESL program in the U.S. and want to transfer to OHLA?
- Complete and sign our student application form.
- We will send you a Transfer form to be completed and signed by your current DSO.
- You will have to provide a copy of your passport, Visa, I-20 Form and I-94 and a Bank Statement showing sufficient funds for the proposed period of study.
- If required, you might need to provide a Notarized Affidavit of Support
What is SEVIS?
SEVIS stands for “Student Exchange Visitor Information System.” It is a web-based database that tracks all non-immigrants who are in the U.S. with F or J status. SEVIS is monitored by the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), a branch of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
F-1 students are required to pay a SEVIS fee (I-901). This fee can be paid through OHLA or directly with SEVIS https://www.fmjfee.com/
How many levels are offered at OHLA?
To provide a continuous and conducive learning environment, OHLA offers 9 ESL levels.
Students sit for a Placement Exam on their first day of class to evaluate their current linguistic skills. Students are then placed in the appropriate English level. Pre-arrival online testing can be organized upon request.
Each level lasts 10 weeks depending on the session.
Levels are subdivided into six – two-week units called “blocks.” A written and oral placement test will be given to you on arrival to assess your English level.
When do the sessions begin?
How long will I need to study at OHLA in order to complete the program?
This depends on the result of your placement exam. Each level at OHLA lasts 10 weeks and there are 9 levels. So if you start at the Basic 1 level, you will need close to 22 months to complete the entire program of study.
What is the OHLA schedule?
Semi Intensive Program:
Monday to Friday from 9:00 A.M to 12:45 P.M.
Monday to Thursday from 9:00 A.M to 2:00 P.M and Friday from 9:00 A.M to 12:30 P.M.
Super Intensive Program:
Monday to Thursday from 9:00 A.M to 3:00 P.M and Friday from 9:00 A.M to 12:30 P.M.
Monday to Friday from 2:10 P.M to 5:00 P.M
Semi Intensive + Exam Preparation: Monday to Friday from 9:00 A.M to 5:00 P.M.
* Schedule varies by location.
What is the size of OHLA classes?
Even though our classes can accommodate up to 15 students we normally have an average of 10 to 12 students per class. This small class setting allows for our students to receive the individual attention required for them to succeed in their course of study.
Is there a Diploma or Certificate at the end of the program?
At the end of your program, you will sit for an Exit Exam and will receive a Certificate of Completion.
What happens if I get sick?
When and how do I pay the tuition fee?
They can be paid by: sending a payment by wire transfer, sending a check drawn on a US bank or international money order or by credit card. OHLA accepts all major credit cards.
Do I get a refund if I can't get the Visa to enter the country?
Do I get a refund if I have to cancel my English language studies?
1. The request for cancellation must be received in writing and the refund will be calculated based on your last date of physical attendance at school. Failure of a student to notify the school in writing may affect the refund of tuition due. 2. If your application is not accepted or if you are denied a visa to enter the United States, all tuition and fees will be refunded except; the initial application fee and, if requested, the University Placement Processing fee. 3. If you test above our highest level of instruction, all tuition and fees will be refunded except if requested, the University Placement Processing fee. 4. If subsequent to your enrollment, Open Hearts Language Academy cancels your program, all tuition & fees including the initial application fee, will be refunded. 5. If during your session you must return to your home country for a documented emergency, the unused portion of your tuition will be held on account for a period of one year, for use upon your return. 6. Open Hearts Language Academy will process all refunds within 14 days of receipt of the request for cancellation request and of the bank account or card details needed to be able to process the refund. OHLA can only refund the individual who made the initial payment. 7. If you cancel your enrollment prior to the start of the initial session in which you are enrolled, a cancellation fee equal to a 4-week tuition period (or up to your proposed length of study, if less than 4 weeks) will apply. The Homestay or Residence Placement Fee is also non-refundable. However, fees such as housing and airport transfer fees will be refunded.
After the start of any session the following cancellation fees will apply:
Tuition: Tuition for the full 10-week session (or to your proposed length of study, if less than 10 weeks) is non-refundable, unless you test above our highest level of instruction or have a documented medical emergency. If you test above our highest level of instruction, tuition and fees paid will be refunded. If during your session you must return to your home country for a documented emergency, the unused portion of your tuition will be held on account for a period of one year, for use upon your return.
Accommodation fees: The Homestay and Residence placement fees are non-refundable. If you leave your accommodation option early, a cancellation fee equal to 2 weeks of accommodation fees, calculated from the day you leave your accommodation option, will apply.
Does OHLA help with accommodation?
If you choose one of our Residence options, you will be required to pay a Residence booking fee ($100) and a weekly fee that will vary depending on the options chosen and on the time of the year you will be residing with us.
For all locations, we offer Homestay with local families including daily breakfast and dinner. OHLA works with Student Room Stay (SRS) to provide the best homestay experience to its students. Student Room Stay (SRS) will provide the homestay accommodation service directly to you.
You can find out more by going to: https://go.studentroomstay.com/ohla-english-schools
Note: OHLA is not involved in this process and therefore all inquiries related to your homestay are to be made directly to Student Room Stay. You can reach Student Room Stay via email at email@example.com or by calling +1-833-766-6789.
Once you have booked your stay, you will receive a confirmation of enrollment as well as a request to pay your Placement fee and complete your profile.
Your Placement fee will vary according to, how long before your arrival, the booking is made.
|Booking made at least 30 days before arrival
|Placement fee: $200 per person / $400 per couple
|Booking made 21 to 29 days before arrival
|Placement fee: $300 per person / $600 per couple
|Booking made 14 to 20 days before arrival
|Placement fee: $400 per person / $800 per couple
Your Weekly Housing fee will vary according to your destination and the length of your booking.
Note: The first 4 weeks of housing fee (or 2 or 3 depending on your requested length of booking) must be paid in FULL BEFORE your arrival in your host family. Housing fee includes breakfast and dinner on weekdays and breakfast, lunch and dinner on weekends and holidays.
Note that all booking requests are conditional to availability.